Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Reading Tally: 22 books/plays


It was a down year when it came to reading. Lots of school related reading (and grading of papers/essay) cut down on my time, as did my sleeping woes (seems I may have sleep apnea, which left me constantly tired and falling asleep at inopportune times).

A number of the books on the list were ones I read for school. My rule for counting them is that I have not taught/read them in a while. So, for example, I did reread The Merchant of Venice, The Crucible, The Great Gatsby, and Antigone again, but as I read them last year I did not count them. On the other hand, I reread Othello. Macbeth, and Jane Eyre, all of which I had not read in a while, so I counted them.

Here's the list:

  • Macbeth by William Shakespeare
  • Othello by William Shakespeare
  • The Woman Who Was Chesterton by Nancy Carpentier Brown
  • The Porter of St. Bonaventure's by James Patrick Derum
  • What's the Weather Inside? (children's poetry) by Karma Wilson
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
  • Father Solanus: The Story of Solanus Casey, O.F.M. Cap. by Catherine M. Odell
  • Nothing Is Impossible With God by John Michael Talbot
  • I Am Malala
  • Poems I Wrote When No One Was Looking by Alan Katz
  • The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
  • Wing Nuts: Screwy Haiku by Paul B. Janeczko and J. Patrick Lewis
  • Outside the Box (children's poetry) by Karma Wilson
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Pure Drivel by Steve Martin
  • All Roads by Dale Ahlquist
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • 100 Essays I Don't Have Time To Write by Sarah Ruhl
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy by Mike Huckabee
  • Urodivoi: Holy Fools by Catherine Doherty
  • Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics by Ross Douthat

  • It's primarily a mix of school-related, religious, and children's poetry. Chesterton sneaks in twice. There are two books about Fr. Solanus Casey, my Franciscan patron. Douthat's book was thought provoking.

    There were some books I was working on, but did not finish yet - a book about being a hermit and Dante's Divine Comedy standing out among those works.  Currently reading a collection of short essays as well. What to add to the 2016 list ... hmmm.

    Pax et bonum

    No comments: