Sunday, January 21, 2018

March for Life observations


I finally made it to a March for Life in Washington.

It was great being there, being part of such a huge crowd defending life, and seeing so many young,  and enthusiastic people.

The energy was positive. There were no angry voices among the marchers denouncing others, no vulgarity, and for the most part no violent signs or chants. (There were some aborted baby pictures along the route, but not in the march. And there was one group that yelled some anti-Trump things, but they were a small group and I'm not sure if they were part of the march, or were just waiting for us in front of the Supreme Court building.

The diversity of the crowd was wonderful. People of all races. Priests in clericals, sisters in habits, Franciscans in robes. Older folks. Kids in strollers. Babies. I even got to say hello to some fellow Solidarity Party members.

The only negatives where physical on my part. My shoes were new, and were probably a mistake - my feet are still sore. So are my legs; they really started hurting toward the end and I was afraid I might have a problem like I did a few months back while walking the dog where I wasn't certain I could make it home. (We had done a bit of walking before the March itself - down past the Washington Monument to the WWII Memorial and back to the March starting point.) I also had a really hard time on the bus. I could not get comfortable, or get much sleep. With the irregular eating, I also developed some mild stomach issues.

I offered the discomfort up.

I need better walking shoes, and I need to get in better shape. I'm also getting older - though at 62 I shouldn't be having such problems (again, I need to get in better shape!).

Will I go next year? I don't know. Let's see what shape I'm in

Overall, it was an incredible experience, and I'm glad I did it.

Pax et bonum

No comments: