Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Ancestry led me astray!


Four years ago I did one of those Ancestry DNA tests.

The results that came back were:

Ireland - 56 %
Scandinavia - 16 %
Great Britain - 10 %
Iberian Peninsula - 8 %
Western Europe - 5 %
A few odd traces - 3 %

Then Irish was no surprise - but the Scandinavian (which I described as "Viking") and the Iberian (Hispanic) were. I was pleased. It was kind of neat being a Viking and partly Hispanic.

But today I received an unexpected (and unasked-for) e-mail from Ancestry announcing that they had refined and updated my results.

Ireland is now Ireland/Scotland/Wales, and that increased slightly to 58 %.
Scandinavia is now Sweden, and dropped to just 4 %.
Great Britain suddenly jumped from 10 % to 36 %.
Iberian Peninsula went from 8 % to 0.
Western Europe is now Germanic Europe, and dropped from 5 % to 2 %.
The odd traces are no longer  there.

No longer Hispanic. And Viking is still there, but at a much reduced level.

Bummer. I liked the odd mix of the first results.

And how could something jump from 10 % to 36 %?? How could one listing that was 8 % simply disappear?

Moreover, this sudden change has me wondering how accurate this new one is. Will I get another e-mail down the road with radically different results? Will I suddenly find out I'm part Bulgarian? Or Swiss? Or Sardinian?

I need a glass of sack.

But maybe I'll just settle for some mead. Or a stout.

Pax et bonum

No comments: