Friday, September 13, 2019

It's been a rough week




I'm still grieving over the death of Ruby.

It was so sudden - though looking back there were warnings. Still, we went from seemingly "normal" on Wednesday" to dead on Sunday.

I've lost pets before. I'd been there for their deaths. But this one hit home. It felt for a few days that something in me died.

I miss our walks. I miss her waiting for me to come home. I miss her lying down at my feet as I work or read. I miss her watching as I cook, anticipating a few samples. I miss taking her for rides, and maybe stopping for ice cream. I miss her looks letting me know she needed to go out. I miss seeing her bound through the yard. I miss wrestling with her over some toy. I miss her coming into our bedroom and lying next to the bed when I go to bed.

There was a harvest moon tonight. Because of clouds, we could not see it. But without her to walk one more time for the night, I wouldn't have seen it anyway.

I know I will get over it.

But right now I'm raw.

Harvest moon
obscured by the clouds
and my grief.

Pax et bonum

No comments: