Sunday, July 12, 2020

Duke


John Wayne his performance as Ethan Edwards in The Searchers (1956 ...

John Wayne has been in the news lately for some things he said decades ago.

I don't have anything to say about that. But I did grow up with a father who liked Westerns, and so I had a steady diet of John Wayne movies. To be honest, the John Wayne character on display in those movies reminded me of my dad. Wayne was a tough guy with a soft side, a rugged individualist. He represented a model of American manhood. There are still some Wayne movies I watch and like.

When Wayne died of cancer, I wrote a poem about him. It became one of my first published poems. 


Duke (6/11/79)

There were no funeral pyres,
no dragon ships sinking like sunset into the sea,
no, not even a sunset to be ridden off into.

There are no bards to sing Valkyrian songs,
no weary ramblers shedding dust in far-flung towns
to itch the fingers of the young;
the tales are told only during dark insomniac nights
to dull-eyed, intermittently illumined faces.

It wasn't a bullet,
a crash,
a well-placed fist.
It was a long, slow slide,
like a ride through a canyon
breathing dust, baked by sun,
chaffed by saddle, thirsting,
and drinking your own
sweat and blood.

And now your bones will gather dust,
like a worn copy of Zane Gray
hidden in a corner of the bookcase.


Pax et bonum

No comments: