Monday, April 17, 2023

Actually Reading Robert Frost



One of my reading goals has been to read all of the published books of poetry of one of my favorite poets, Robert Frost. I've been reading them in chronological order.

I just finished Steeple Bush, published in 1947.

As much as I like his poetry, I have to admit that this book is one of his weaker efforts. He was about 73 at this point, and I think his skills were fading. Oh, there are some decent poems in the collection -  like "Directive" - but most of the rest are not of the same quality as his earlier poems. 

At this point, I just have his final collection, In the Clearing (1962), and two masques, A Masque of Reason (1945), and A Masque of Mercy (1947) to read.

When I'm done with Frost, I have two other poetry reading goals.

I plan at some point to read all of Shakespeare's sonnets.  

And I will read the collected poems of one of my other favorite poets, Emily Dickinson - all 1,775 of them!

Pax et bonum

No comments: