Wednesday, July 5, 2023

A Dickens of a Reading Goal!


Back in high school, I read A Tale of Two Cities, and loved it. I went on to read David Copperfield and A Christmas Carol, and later, Bleak House.

I liked Charles Dickens so much that I wanted to read more of him, and when I applied to graduate school it was to a school where a noted Dickens scholar taught. Alas, he was on sabbatical the year I was there, so I never got to take his Dickens course.

I've read some Dickens since on my own. Now I want to read at least all of his completed novels. I haven't set a deadline for doing so per se, just want to read one or two a year. I'm currently reading - and enjoying - Hard Times. (Note: I finished it, and The Cricket on the Hearth after originally posting this.)

Here's the list of novels. I've indented the ones I own and bolded the ones I've already read.

     The Pickwick Papers (1836)
     Oliver Twist (1837)
      Nicholas Nickleby (1838)
     The Old Curiosity Shop (1840)
Barnaby Rudge (1841)
Martin Chuzzlewit (1843)
     Dombey and Son (1846)
     David Copperfield (1849)
     Bleak House (1852)
     Hard Times (1854)
Little Dorritt (1855)
     A Tale of Two Cities (1859)
     Great Expectations (1860)
     Our Mutual Friend (1864)
The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1870)


And some of the Novellas

     A Christmas Carol (1843)
     The Chimes (1844)
     The Cricket on the Hearth (1845)

The Battle of Life: A Love Story (1846)

To Be Read at Dusk (1846)
The Haunted Man (1848)
The Hanged Man's Bride (1857

Ah, such pleasant reading ahead!

Pax et bonum

No comments: