Friday, September 11, 2026

Jimmy Stewart



I just saw that they have made and plan to release November 6 a movie about Jimmy Stewart called Jimmy. From the promos, it seems to be dealing with his service in World War II, culminating in his return to acting with It's a Wonderful Life.

Stewart is my favorite actor, and It's a Wonderful Life one of my favorite movies. We own a copy of it and watch it every year around Christmas.

Just as It's a Wonderful Life is a regular view, so are several of his other movies: Harvey, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Little Shop Around the Corner, Anatomy of a Murder, and Rear Window. Whenever they come on, I watch. And while they are not favorites, I have watched multiple times: The Philadelphia Story, (not a fan of Hepburn, but since Stewart is in it I will watch it), Destry Rides Again, The Flight of the Phoenix, and You Can't Take It With You. I also like The Shootist (with the added bonus of it being John Wayne's final film and Wayne is another actor I like), Winchester '73, The Spirit of St. Louis, and Shenandoah 

And whenever a movie comes on with Stewart in it I will give it a watch. Though I do admit I have a hard time with the ending of his character in After the Thin Man. Oh, and with the singing in Born to Dance

I know Vertigo makes a lot of lists of best movies by Stewart, but I never got into it.  

Stewart was a war hero, and I honor him for that. Thus, it makes sense to make a movie focusing on that part of his life. 

Will I see the new Stewart bio film? Maybe not at the theaters; I don't go to the movies much. But eventually, probably. 

 Pax et bonum

No comments: