Saturday, June 23, 2012

Summer vacation begins (sort of!)

Yesterday, I filed all my grades and handed in my grade book and teacher's manual.

Summer has begun.

Of course, as a teacher my summer includes:

A week of training (starting Monday) for teaching our new Advanced Placement Composition class;

Reading or rereading all the books that I'll be teaching in the class;

Designing the class, as it is new to the school and I'm the first person to teach it there;

Redesigning the Sophomore English class based on last year's experience;

Meeting with an art teacher to create the new Digital Design and Publications course we are creating as a joint Art/English class we hope to get approved by the board (in December) and begin teaching in the 2013/14 School year;

Going in to the school to file all the student portfolios and essays that are still siting on my desk (110 of them from the end of the year);


Cleaning out my files to get rid of unneeded materials.

Yep. Summer vacation.


Good thing I love my job! 

Pax et bonum

2 comments:

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Like I always say, "You teachers are all overpaid, and with three months vacation yet!"

:-)

Do take some time to sit out in the yard though; you need to get burned some to avoid being burned out.

A Secular Franciscan said...

It's a good thing I like to read. And some of the books I have to reread are ones that I've always liked.

The AP workshop I just completed was great, and it will make the process of planning the AP Composition class much easier. The teacher gave us many ideas - and materials we can use.