Saturday, April 27, 2013

Franciscan Council formation



Today was a day of formation at the Stella Maris Retreat Center for Franciscan fraternity leaders from across New York (and Erie, Pennsylvania). (The region is now known as the St. Kateri Tekakwitha Region - the banner was made back when she was "Blessed.") Ministers, Vice Ministers, Secretaries, Treasurers, Spiritual Assistants, and Councilors (like me). The day - called a Servant Leader Workshop - was my first such training since I was elected a Councilor last fall.


It was a good day.


In addition to the group sessions we had breakout sessions for different offices. Since our fraternity needs a Spiritual Assistant, I went to that session to find out what would be involved in becoming one.


But given that I mark only two years of being professed this July, I would not be eligible to begin the formation until 2015, and with that process taking at least 19 months, I would not be able to become one until 2018 - too long a wait for our fraternity. Plus, given the nature of the position, and the rules/limits governing it, I came away thinking this is not where I'm being called.


Being involved with formation of candidates would make sense with my education background, but we'll see.


What I'd most like is just to continue as the person who unlocks the doors, sets up the meeting room, greets the late arrivals, and puts the room back in order after the meeting. The Doorman - like the Venerable Father Solanus Casey. That's my idea of being a "servant" leader.


Of course, I did buy some books and workbooks!


Pax et bonum

No comments: