Saturday, October 8, 2016

At Planned Parenthood


at Planned Parenthood
crows cry as the staff arrives -
clouds heavy with rain

I went to hold vigil outside Planned Parenthood this morning as part of the 40 Days for Life campaign.

I got there at 7, picked up a sign (PRAY FOR AN END TO ABORTION), and took a position in front of the clinic. There are lines in the sidewalk based on an old court injunction prohibiting certain people and groups from protesting too close to the clinic's parking lot entrance. But I'm not named in the injunction, nor am I a member of any group named in it. So, I stood beyond the line, not blocking entrance in any way, but clearly visible.

I said a Rosary, and began to sing quietly a few pro-life songs and hymns, mixing in repetitions of "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

About 7:20, a vehicle pulled in to the parking lot. Crows in the trees began to call out. Over the next 20 minutes or so more cars arrived.

At about 7:45 a man from the clinic with a Planned Parenthood identification approached me. We exchanged a few pleasantries - good morning, are you a Red Sox fan (my hat), when I said yes he  "jokingly" said to get out of there, I laughed as said he must be a Yankee fan.

Then he said because of the court order I had to go back on the other side of the line.

I pointed out that I was aware of the old court order, but explained that the order applied only to certain named individuals and groups - and that I was not one of the named individuals and did not belong to any of the groups. I said I would not move.

He asked me to show him the court order. I replied that he had to show me the order (after all, he was the one demanding that I move).

He said he had a copy and would go get it.

He left.

He did not return, though, to be fair, I was only there for a few minutes more. 

I kept praying where I was until my shift ended at 8.

I then left.

I will be back.

Pax et bonum

No comments: