Friday, July 28, 2017

Catholic Liberal Education


I've just returned from a conference on Catholic Liberal Education - liberal in the traditional "classical" sense, not in the political.

It was wonderful.

An education based on the classics, on rhetoric, on reading and writing, on reducing the use of electronic media rather than reading printed text and writing by hand. All with a spiritual sense.

I loved the ideas. Some of the methods - mixing music, art, and literature, and linking works - are ones that I've already used to some degree. So this is right up my alley.

As for the Catholic angle - I don't recall the last time I saw people say grace at every meal, or an education conference that involved morning prayers and daily Mass, or even where we said rosaries as we drove to and from the conference. Faith was brought up in almost every talk and workshop. Two of the breakout sessions were on C. S. Lewis. One talk even focused on levels of prayer - and how to incorporate more prayer into classes.

I'm somewhat religious, but these good folks put me to shame!

I'm looking forward to the school year.

Pax et bonum

No comments: