Wednesday, December 27, 2017

I'm a what?



I've been accused of a few things - negatively, of course - because of things I've posted on social media (or supposedly said).

Now, I do post a lot on social media, Facebook and Twitter specifically. I tend to be more political  and snarky/sarcastic on Twitter, but I often post the same/related items on both.

I've been accused of being a Trump supporter (even though I don't belong to his party and didn't vote for him), a homophobe, a Nazi, a hateful angry man, and so on.

So I decided at look at the last few things I've posted on Facebook, or tweeted/retweeted on Twitter.

The last 10 on Facebook:

Blessed Solanus Casey (Catholic Answers)
Catholic Radical Traditionalists (Catholic Answers)
Christmas song (Duck Dynasty)
Christmas song (Duck Dynasty)
A question about a pro-life blog aggregator that may be gone
Humor (Star Wars Lamp)
St. Stephen (Bishop Barron commentary)
Humor (Star Wars Christmas "Toy")
Christmas Message from St. John Bosco Schools' First Graders
Planned Parenthood (Former director criticizes)

Hmm. Maybe not enough of a sample.

10 More from Facebook:

Christmas Greeting (Bishop Barron)
Christmas song (with bagpipes)
Humor (Stanford Nutting Holiday Special)
Merry Christmas Greeting from me
Christmas Song (Innocence Mission)
Humor Song (Chipmunks roasting ...)
David Daleiden Quotation (St. Thomas More Society, pro-life)
LifeNews Criticism of Pro-choice Conservative
Pro-Life Democrat to speak at March for Life
Original Christmas Story (Grumpy Shepherd)

Okay ... Clearly several pro-life-related posts, but lots of Christmas-related or humorous pieces. I don't see a lot of hate so far. Maybe in my comments/responses over the same span?

Happy Birthday greeting
Pointing out that a "new" article was actually three-years-old
Praising It's a Wonderful Life
Response to a CNN host's claim of It's a Wonderful Life being sexist
Liking a family Christmas picture
Posting a Christmas-related Science Fiction poem
A Christmas greeting to a friend
A St. Nicholas clerihew
A critical response to a post about how to be a Christian man
Paolo Uccello clerihew
A response to a book critical of Pope Francis
Humor (mildly satirical) in response to a friend's post
Mildly satirical response to a friend's comment about Hollywood
Condolences for a friend's loss of a pet
A response to an article about the homeless (who need shelter during this season)
Noting that a posted "news article" may not be real
Speculation about possibly trimming my Santa-length beard
Liking another person's poem

A bit more satire - but still I don't see much hate there.

Let's see what's over on Twitter in the same span - Tweets and Replies:

Solanus Casey (Catholic Answers)
Radical Traditionalists (Catholic Answers)
Satirical response to a CNN report (Trump caught golfing)
Humorous response to a Representative's claim that a woman may have been racist
Retweet of a person's positive comment about prayer
"Kennedy" on a Fox show leading me to change the channel
Retweet of a Live Action post about Planned Parenthood
Retweet of praise for a female African pro-life activist
A comment that someone would make a questionable MSNBC host
Question about the apparent suspending of a pro-life article aggregator
Friendly response to someone's comment about the cold temperatures
Posting one of a late-poet's poems
Noting that an article being used to attack group is actually 3-years old
Response to comment about how poor movies are faring this year
LifeNews article related to Planned Parenthood
Comment about diversity in music at church (Silent Night played on guitar)
LifeNews article related to ultrasound images upsetting prochoicers
A Christmas greeting from me
St. Nicholas clerihew
Christmas Song from Innocence Mission
Paolo Uccello clerihew
Cartoon about the song "Mary Did You Know?"
Response to humorous Tweet about giving up coffee
Affirming response to Tweet about overuse of the word "brave"
Retweet of criticism of Cory Booker Tweet
Humorous response to friend's Tweet about a Christmas song pun
Criticism of a Cory Book inappropriate Tweet
Saying I didn't appreciate a Tweet unnecessarily critical of Pope Francis
Satirical response to a NY Times article about inappropriate activity at a company
Bible verse in response to a question about a Papal statement
A comment about reading a full Papal statement to see what he really said
A mildly critical comment about the Vatican nativity scene that did not work
A critical comment about a misguided "impeachment" Tweet
Raising the issue of possibly trimming my Santa-length beard
A response to a Tweet asking if adults use libraries any more (I do)
Retweeting an African woman's critical response to Father Martin's comment about Africans and homosexuality
Retweeting a positive story about Cardinal Burke responding to a homosexual priest
LifeNews article critical of the pro-choice position of a conservative commentator
Pro-life Democrat to speak at March for Life
The Grumpy Shepherd (original Christmas story)

So ... definitely pro-life - maybe pro-choicers consider that "hate." Sometimes satirical, maybe even mildly sarcastic, and a bit of a stickler. But I don't see racism, Nazism, homophobia, hate, etc. Not a lot there about Trump, either.

Of course, this is just a few days' worth, and it is during the Christmas season. But I don't see the evidence.

I remember someone saying to a friend after actually listening to me that I seem to have mellowed. The friend pointed out that I hadn't changed at all. My spin is that perhaps the person was actually listening to me for the first time rather than basing her judgment of me on what others claim about me, or on her own preconceptions of what I think, say, and do.

Meanwhile, what I draw from this little exercise is that perhaps I spend too much time on Facebook and Twitter!

Pax et bonum

No comments: