Sunday, April 1, 2018

On reading Shiki (and about persimmons)


Image result for masaoka shiki

In a haiku mood, I read a collection of the poems of Masaoka Shiki (translated by Burton Watson). Shiki (1867-1902) is generally listed as one of the four great haiku poets (Basho, Buson, Issi, and Shiki), and is credited with helping to revive haiku at time when it was growing stale and to set the direction for modern haiku.

He once observed, "Take your materials from what is around you - if you see a dandelion, write about that; if it's misty, write about the mist. The materials for poetry are all about you in profusion."

That philosophy has helped to guide contemporary haiku poets - and really is good advice for any poet.

I've always enjoyed his poetry, including his baseball haiku.

spring breeze
this grassy field makes me
want to play catch  

It was good to dive into his poetry again.

But this time I noticed the number of his poems that mention persimmons.

Plunging into
a ripe persimmon -
getting my beard all messy with it

I eat a persimmon
and a bell starts booming -
Horyu-ji      -  (the name of a temple)

Persimmons made me think of it -
the face of the maid
at that inn in Nara

Tell them
I was a persimmon eater
who liked haiku

And there are more such poems.

I've never eaten a persimmon.

I did not even know what one looked like.
Image result for persimmon

I did a little research and discovered there are a number of varieties of them, including an American  version.

Image result for persimmon

I'm curious.

I wonder if any of our local stored have them?

a sudden desire
to eat a persimmon -
reading Shiki.

Pax et bonum

No comments: