Sunday, February 10, 2019

Franciscans can care for creation in many ways


Image result for discarded plastic water bottles


Number 18 in The Rule of the Secular Franciscan Order is, "Moreover they should respect all creatures, animate and inanimate, which `bear the imprint of the Most High,' and they should strive to move from the temptation of exploiting creation to the Franciscan concept of universal kinship."
Image result for Plastic bags in trees


We are called to respect and care for creation. There are many ways we can do this. On a social/governmental level we can advocate for policies and laws regarding pollution, the treatment of animals, the use of natural resources, renewable energy, and more. How we do this can vary - becoming a public official or servant, voting for those who will seek to care for the environment, researching and writing about the issues, educating others, praying, and much more.

But we are also called to care on more local, more personal levels.

Image result for Discarded K-Cups

Recycling.
Reducing the waste in our own lives. 
Using reusable bags rather than plastic bags when we shop.
Where water supplies are safe, avoiding water in plastic bottles.
Driving less.
Being aware of how the food we eat is produced - especially being cognizant of how the animals we eat are raised and treated.

Image result for Veal in cages


There are so many other things we can do.

In my own life, for example, I became a vegetarian after learning how much acreage was used to produce grain to fatten cows, resulting in less food being produced for people in a hungry world, about the destruction of the rain forest to produce more temporary grazing land for cattle, and about the nature of factory farming and how some animals are treated. Not everyone has to become vegetarian, of course, but cutting back on meat consumption is better for the environment - and our health.

In addition, whenever I go grocery shopping, I bring along my own reusable bags. When I shop at other places, if I have only a few items that I can carry I always decline a bag.

At work, I have a cup and fill it from the tap rather than use water in plastic bottles. When I go hiking, I try to fill a usable water container and drink from that rather than from plastic bottles.

I never drink coffee made from K-Cups.

During summer vacations - I'm a teacher - when I can I ride my bike to morning Mass rather than drive my car.

Yes, I know these are small things, but if enough people start paying attention and taking action it might change products and policies.

After all, as St. Francis told us, all things in creation are our Brothers and Sisters.

Pax et bonum

No comments: