Thursday, April 25, 2019

Mark Twain Biography Revelations


Related image

I read and enjoyed Mark Twain by Geoffrey C. Ward and Dayton Duncan. The book, an illustrated biography, is a companion book for the Ken Burns documentary about Twain.

I was looking to learn more about Twain, but I did not want to get bogged down in a literary study/biography. At 258 pages, with many images and side articles, this book fit the bill.

I'd known some of the basic details about his life. This book filled in the gaps, and gave me a sense of his times as well.

That he had had some bad times - loss of loved one and bankruptcy - I knew, but not the extent of his losses. A brother, three children (including his son at 19 month), his wife all died before he did, The illnesses of his wife and daughters, estrangement at times from his daughters. as well as the extent of his business problems, was eye-opening. His bitterness and cynicism later in life made more sense.

I was also not aware of his own personality flaws. They made sense, though.

I came away from the book knowing him better, saddened by what he went through, and with a desire to read more of his works. I would also like to see the documentary some time.

But now, on to my next book: A contemporary collection of essays. I'll get back to Twain this summer. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

Pax et bonum

No comments: