Monday, August 5, 2019

Currently reading (before I tackle that list!)


In a previous post, I mentioned a list of 100 works of literature Joseph Pearce suggests every Catholic should know. I've read only about half of them (47 entirely, six more in substantial part).

I intend to use that list as a guide. But first I have to finish the books I'm currently reading - and then mix the list books in with works I'll be teaching this school year and which I'll have to reread/skim as I go.

Image result for The Horse and his Boy

I'm reading The Horse And His Boy by C.S. Lewis, part of his Chronicles of Narnia. This is actually a reread. I read all seven of the Narnia books in one go back in 1975/76, so it's been a long time for this particular book. (I'll be reviewing The Magician's Nephew in the coming weeks as that's on the summer reading list, and I did reread that one two summers ago.)

Image result for Run That By Me Again

I'm also reading Run That By Me Again, a collection of short essays by Father James V. Schall, SJ, who was a regular contributor to Gilbert!, and who passed away earlier this year.

Image result for Literature - Pearce

Finally, I'm reading Literature: What Every Catholic Should Know by Joseph Pearce, the book that inspired this effort.

Not sure what I'll read next. Sophocles? Shakespeare? Percy?

Let's see what's available.

Pax et bonum

No comments: