Monday, December 14, 2020

David Michael Nixon (Two Chapbooks)


In my post-retirement efforts to purge papers, notes, materials, books, etc. I've accumulated in decades as a teacher and reporter,  I came across two chapbooks by David Michael NixonBlue Water Line Blues and Hunting the World.

We are not "friends," but I have encountered him regularly and repeatedly over the years in local poetry/folk music/peace and justice circles. Indeed, one of the chapbooks has a personal message to me and his signature. I've always appreciated his dedication and friendliness.  

David still sports the long hair and beard that marks him as a child of the 60's. His poetry reflect his peace and folk music activities. I especially enjoyed coming across lines that echo lines from songs, refer to playing music, or mention musicians and genres I also appreciated, and, of course, shared peace and justice concerns.  

The blues
Buffy Sainte-Marie
Demonstrations
Robert Johnson
George McGovern
Joe LeMay
A. J. Muste

Yeah, for me the nylons still whisper in the night.

And maybe one of those old ballads has my name.

Pax et bonum

No comments: