Sunday, December 20, 2020

The Spear - Louis de Wohl



According to the blurb on the back of the book, Louis de Wohl considered The Spear his "magnum opus." Having read an enjoyed several of his Catholic historical novels, I can see why he thought that.

It is a great book. The characters come to life. The plot is well crafted, and it moves along briskly and logically. He incorporates Biblical elements smoothly.

As I was reading, I wondered why no one has made a movie of this book. Proud arrogant Roman falls in love with the wrong woman, then loses that love. Gladiator fights. Battles. Political and religious intrigue. A believable true romance. Jesus and his followers. All the elements for a Biblical epic. Are you listening Mel?

The protagonist, Cassius Longinus, reminded me of the centurion Clavius from the movie Risen; though the stories are very different, still, I wondered if Longinus served as a model for Clavius. 

If you have never read de Wohl, I highly recommend this book as the one with which to start.

Pax et bonum
 

No comments: