Saturday, December 30, 2023

Spiritual Resolutions for 2024


Last year I made some spiritual resolutions. Here's part of that post, with added notes:

My daily routine usually includes:

The Seven Sorrows of Mary
St. Bridget's Twelve Year Prayer on the Passion of Jesus
Morning Prayers from the Liturgy of the Hours
The Rosary.
A Novena to St. Sharbel
Daily Mass Monday, Wednesday-Friday.

There have been a few days when I fall short. One of my resolutions for the new year it to not miss any of these current prayers. (Fell short.)

I also resolve to add daily recitation of the Diving Mercy Chaplet. and to say Night Prayers from the Liturgy of the Hours. (Started to do so, but inconsistent.)

I was working on reading the Bible daily with the goal of reading the entire Bible. (Fell short.) 

I resolve to spend 10 minutes daily reading and reflecting on the Bible. (Really failed on this one.)

I try to read spiritual works, but it's not a daily habit. I resolve to spend at least 15 minutes each day doing some spiritual reading. The will likely require that I give up some television time and reading of secular works. So be it. (Did not meet this goal either.)

I'm already reading The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis and The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton as part of two reading groups I'm in. I will continue to do those. On my own I've been reading The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis, but that reading has been irregular. I will give that daily attention until I finish it. (Succeeded.)

I resolve to also reread Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. (Read it. Success.)

The death today of Pope Benedict has inspired me to add two of his works to my list of ones I also resolve to read: Jesus of Nazareth and the encyclical, God is Love. (Another success.)

There are other works that I will try to read once I get through those listed works. Among those other works are

The Yes of Jesus Christ by Pope Benedict
A New Song for the Lord by Pope Benedict
A Concise Guide to Catholic Social Teaching by Father Kevin McKenna
The Splendor of Truth by Pope Saint John Paul II
The Gospel of Life by Pope Saint John Paul II 
Pacem in Terris by Pope Saint John XXIII

(Sigh. Read none of these, though I did start The Splendor of Truth recently.)

So looking ahead ... 

Continue my daily prayer routine, but try to be more consistent.

Continue going to daily Mass as much as possible.

Begin again to read the Bible daily. I've read most of it already before, so one goal this year would be to finish reading the rest of it, then to begin rereading.)

Read spiritual works daily. At least one work should be Franciscan in nature.

Finish The Splendor of Truth, and read at least one more encyclical.

God willing, and with renewed fervor, I hope 2024 will be a year of spiritual growth. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: