Thursday, January 25, 2024

Agatha Christie Goal Met, With Pleasure


One of my reading goals this year was to read at least two Agatha Christie mysteries. I've already met that goal with The A.B.C. Murders and The Murder at the Vicarage.

I actually decided to read them now after reading a couple of Dorothy Sayers Wimsey mysteries. I enjoyed them, but Sayers a slower read and I wanted something good, but quicker. Christie fit the bill.

I enjoyed both of the Christi books, with an edge to Hercule Poirot's A.B.C. I've read some of the Poirot mysteries before, and find him an interesting character.

Vicarage was my first Miss Marple. Unknowingly, I also selected the book that introduced her as a character. Maybe because she was just being introduced she was less developed than Poirot.

Both mysteries were typical of the Christies that I've read. She crafts a good tale, and handles dialogue particularly well. You can see why so many of her books have been translated into plays and movies.

In recent years I've now read

The A.B.C. Murders
The Murder at the Vicarage

Curtain

And Then There Were None

Murder on the Orient Express

Death on the Nile

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd


I'll likely read more Christie in the future. But now, back to Wimsey? Or perhaps Dickens?

Pax et bonum

No comments: