Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gloomy face, chilling look

“It is not fitting, when one is in God's service, to have a gloomy face or a chilling look.” - St. Francis of Assisi.

The other day, a parent remarked to the principal at my school that she thought I was mad at her. That came just moments after we'd had a brief conversation, but one which I thought was innocuous - and certainly without confrontation or harsh words.

I was trying to figure out why she would say that when the principal added a comment about smiling.

A subtle suggestion?

I tend toward "serious" looking expressions. People have commented in the past that I sometimes look mad or upset even when I'm not.

They have a point. I need to work at trying to look more friendly, more inviting.

I've got to keep trying to smile more!

Pax et bonum

1 comment:

Do Not Be Anxious said...

I don't know about a "chilling look", but I've been told much of my life that I look like I am mad at someone. I've also been told many, many times: you have such a beautiful smile, why don't you use it more. All I can say is "it ain't easy to smile all the time." But I try to remember to do that.

If you get some time you may want to read a post I did a couple of weeks back about when the waitress called me a grouch. Maybe it'll make you smile. :-)