Saturday, December 13, 2014

Torture is incompatible with Catholic teachings



I've seen folks trying to defend the use of torture - I view euphemisms like "enhanced interrogation techniques" as akin to referring to abortion as "reproductive health," or unborn children as "products of conception."


I am saddened when I see the politically motivated trying to justify it. But I am appalled when I see  religious folks trying to justify it, especially Catholic ones.


Catholic teachings are clear: Torture is unacceptable.


"Torture which uses physical or moral violence to extract confessions, punish the guilty, frighten opponents, or satisfy hatred is contrary to respect for the person and for human dignity." - Catechism of the Catholic Church, #2297


And the methods used by the U.S. were torture. Not as vicious and some methods used by others, but still torture.


 Pax et bonum

No comments: