Thursday, May 7, 2015

Becket Hall is closing


Back in 1975 when I was exploring my faith, I decided to enroll in our diocese's pre-theologate college seminary, Becket Hall.

I discovered that the priesthood was not the right path for me, but I still valued my time there. I learned and grew so much. I met some good a holy men who remain friends, and some of whom were later ordained.

When I was there we had some 50 men. The numbers dropped, and eventually the seminary moved off campus and became a residential facility housed for a while in a former convent, and later a former rectory.

Bishop Salvatore Matano has now announced that Becket Hall will close, to be replaced by a non-residential program. I am saddened by this news, but given the numbers, it makes sense.

Thank you Lord for what I experienced some four decades ago. I wouldn't he who I am now if not for Becket Hall.

Pax et bonum

No comments: