Saturday, December 31, 2016

Resolutions - Tradition!




It's that time of the year again - the time to come up with some resolutions.

Tradition!

One of the things I want to do in the coming year is one of the traditional resolutions  - lose weight. In my case, I would like to lose some 50 pounds. To be realistic - and healthful about it - that would likely take all year.

Along with that, I need more exercise. Not weight lifting/gym kind of exercise. Slower, more gentle - involving stretches, tension, maybe some dancing. Tai chi sort of exercise. Not only will this help with weight, it will help me as I get older and face some of the pains of aging.

And, of course, better diet. Cut down on the treats, chips, between meal and after dinner eating.

I also want to keep up my reading. This year, I read a couple of works by Church Fathers  - I will continue that. Plus, I want to read a couple of spiritual books to help with my own growth. In addition, some classics. If I keep up my pattern of the last few years, there will be about 20-25 works this year.

To add a weekly visit to the adoration chapel.

Cut down on internet - at least with wasting time arguing on Twitter and Facebook. Instead, my posting should be positive - things about faith, The Margaret Home, Franciscanism, and so on.

Cutting down on criticizing and negativity.

Playing out. I need to overcome my self-consciousness and fears and play some folk music - at the least a couple of Tuesday gatherings of the Golden Link, maybe one open mic night. And that means learning some new songs.

Get the slug book completed and printed. Send out some poems to magazines.

Memorize some prayers and classic works. The Divine Praises, Twas the Night Before Christmas, The Gettysburg Address, some Shakespeare.

Explore some money-making options. Voice work? Money from on-line publication? Video Santa?

Learn some Spanish words and phrases related to Christmas so that when Hispanic children come to visit me as Santa I will be better able to serve them.

That's all a good start. Let's see how many I actually do!

Pax et bonum

No comments: