Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Okay, so I'm Scottish





As I explore my Scottish roots, I consider my clan. My grandmother was a Baxter from Scotland. When I asked her what clan/tartan/etc. we belonged to, she said her family never really paid much attention to all that - indeed, when she did wear a tartan pattern, she said she just wore whatever looked good - but she did say we belonged to Clan MacMillan. When I looked up that clan, Baxter is indeed a "sept,"a branch, of that clan.

The clan crest features the two-handed sword, and the motto Miseris Succurrere Disco - I Learn to Succor the Distressed. I like that there is a concern for those who are in distress.

According to the history of the clan, the clan had church origins from back in the days that Celtic priests were allowed to marry. Celtic priests used to have a distinctive tonsure: They shaved the front of their heads unlike the Romans, who shaved a ring around the crown (the traditional hair style associated with monks).  The Celtic tonsure was described as that of St. John, which is rendered in Scottish Gaelic as Mhaoil-Iain. MacMillan is therefore "son of one who bore the tonsure of St John." 

So my family is of Church origins. Figures!

As for "Baxter," there's an interesting legend about that. According to the story, Archibald MacMillan was at a fair and got into a fight and killed the member of a powerful clan. Archibald fled, and hid in , the kitchen of a castle, where he switched clothes with a cook, and was kneading dough when the searchers arrived. They took him for a cook, and left. He then returned home, where he was given the nickname of "the Baxter," a form of the word "baker." His clan apparently made a money payment as a fine for the murder, so he never had to face trial.

I'm not currently reading a cultural history of Scotland, so I'll learn more about my roots in the weeks and months ahead.

As for now, I'll keep in mind the Scottish saying: Gie it laldy (do it with lots of gusto).

Pax et bonum

No comments: