Monday, September 7, 2020

Swedenborg 28


Her clothes were still damp, but Sharon did not want to wait for that strange man to return. She could hang them in the apartment. She had hurriedly piled the clothes in her basket and went out to her car.

As she drove away she glanced to see the man return to the laundromat.

He reminded her of the addicts who came to the health center. But there was something more. Mental illness?

She had to stop at a red light. Even though she was well away from the laundromat, she glanced in her rear view mirror, half expecting to see the man. Or his eyes.

The light turned. She drove on to her street and found a parking spot. Before she got out of the car she scanned the street. No sign of him. She got out of her car, and started to take the basket out.

“Hello,” a man said.

She started and turned suddenly, her fist clenched.

Frank smiled.

“I didn’t mean to startle you.”

He looked familiar. Then she remembered the accident on the street.

“I, I …,” she stammered.

“We met on the street. That accident.”

“Yes. I remember.”

He smiled. “It was a terrible way to meet, but it’s nice to see you again. I’m Frank”

She smiled hesitantly. “Sharon. It’s good to see you again.”

“Do you live around here?”

She felt her defenses rising. I don’t know him, she thought.

“Do you?” she asked.

“No. I’m visiting a friend.”

As he said it, he suddenly thought about Joe. A friend? Yes, that seemed right.

“He’s having a party,” he added. “I’m helping him get ready. I just had to run out to get some things he forgot.”

“That’s nice of you.”

He wasn’t sure what to say. Then he blurted, “It’s kind of a big deal for him. Professor Staples, Jack Staples, the writer, maybe you’ve heard of him? Anyway, he’s coming, and Joe, that’s my friend, he’s a big fan of his. It’s not going to be a “party” party. Pretty low key. Pretty straight really. Book talk and maybe chess.”

He laughed self consciously. He felt himself blushing. Idiot, he thought.

“I’ve heard of Staples,” she said. “I have a book of his I was thinking of reading.”

“Hey, if you live near here, you could come and meet him. Joe wouldn’t mind.”

“I don’t know.”

“No, really. Joe is one of those guys who welcomes everyone. He’d be interested in your work and all. And you’d get to meet Staples. Besides, I owe you a drink.”

“Maybe. I’ll think about it.”

Frank took out a notebook and scribbled the address.

“If you decide to, come on over. I think people will start arriving around 7.”

“Maybe,” she said again. She lifted her laundry. “Some of this is still damp. I need to get it hung up.”

“Yeah. See you later, I hope,” he said.

She watched him walk away. He turned and smiled.

He is cute in an offbeat way, she thought.

He was having his own thoughts.

He pictured her face in his mind. She was smiling. He liked her smile. Then the image of Lilly popped into his head. He felt a stirring of the desire he’d felt the night before.

He tried not to think of Lilly. He looked back.

Sharon was gone.

He wondered which apartment was hers.

He turned the corner and headed for the store. A disturbed-looking man was walking toward him. The man was glancing quickly at all the women, smiling in a crooked way. Their eyes met.

Frank felt a sudden chill.

He’s watching you.

As suddenly as he remembered the words, the man turned his eyes away.

The man passed him. Frank turned quickly and glanced at him.

The man stopped, looked across the street, and then turned quickly, catching Frank looking at him. The man smiled, then scowled and turned, heading down the street.


I hope he doesn’t show up at the party, Frank thought.

Pax et bonum

No comments: