Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Explaining Church Religious Orders To A Protestant


At the comfort care home where I volunteer I work with a woman who is a member of one of those fundamentalists Protestant churches. She really knows little about the Catholic Church, and has asked me questions. Today the issue of different orders in the Catholic Church came up. The thought it showed the splintering of the Church

At first I explained that the orders - like the Jesuits, the Franciscans, the Carmelites, the Sisters of Saint Joseph and so on  - do not divide the Church, but rather serve it in different ways and ministries. Some teach, some run shelters and soup kitchens, some work in hospitals, some spend time praying for the sake of others, and so on.

I realized that while my explanation was true, it was not clear to her.

Then I came up with an analogy.

Imagine a company erecting a building. There would be various kinds of workers such as carpenters, plumber, electricians, and painters all pursuing their particular tasks, but all working together for their common project. I said the orders in the Church are like all those different trades working together.

I could see she got it.

Thank you Lord for that moment of inspiration. 

Pax et bonum

No comments: