Monday, May 22, 2023

Death Comes for the Archbishop (Cather)



I finally read Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather.

I don't know why it took me so long!

I read her My Antonia years ago and enjoyed it. Death was on Joseph Pearce's list of 100 Great Works of Literature Every Catholic Should Know, so I borrowed it from the library.

A wonderful book. It's amazing to realize that for someone so sensitive to Catholic characters and beliefs she was not herself Catholic.

I highly recommend it.

This marks 57 of the books Pearce lists that I have read completely.

Right now, I'm reading some of the books I've discovered buried in boxes in the garage. (I'm in the process of donating books to clean them out.) First up is From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne. I may go on to another science fiction book or two that I've unearthed. I also found a copy of East of Eden by John Steinbeck - which I read some 50 years ago, and has been stuck in a box for close the 30 years.. None of the books in the "might read" pile are on Pearce's list, by the way.

But I did find a copy of Emma by Jane Austen - a book on his list. So I've added it to the pile.e pout in the garage for rs as I clean out.

Now, what do I do with all the old textbooks no one wants? 

Pax et bonum

No comments: