Monday, May 29, 2023

In The Clearing (Frost)



Robert Frost has always been my favorite poet. One of my reading goals has been to read all the volumes of his poetry.

I just read his last volume: In the Clearing, published in 1962. He was by that time 88.

He apparently delayed publishing this collection because he recognized they did not represent his best work.

I agree.

It lingered long enough for him to include his poem for the inauguration of John Kennedy in 1961 (which included "The Gift Outright").

There are a few flashes of his skill, but most of the poems are weak. They read like the work of a lesser poet, or a poet who's fire was going out. Nevertheless, it was still worth reading. 

I have two more works to read to complete my goal: A Masque of Reason, and  A Masque of Mercy.

Both were written in the 1940's, so I have hope of them being more typical of the Frost I've always liked.

Pax et bonum

No comments: