Thursday, May 25, 2023

To The Moon, Jules



As I continue to clean out books stored in my garage, I've come across a few I decided to read before donating them.

The latest book is From The Earth To The Moon by Jules Verne.

Years ago I read his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and enjoyed it. I can't say the same for this books.

I wasn't sure if he was trying to be satirical, but it sure reads like that. Meanwhile, he gets caught up in so many dull details to try to establish scientific veracity. But some of that science is nonsense. And I kept wishing for more action, more actual dialogue. Plus, the ending left things up in the air (so to speak!); I'm not surprised there was a sequel that continued the story.

I'd seen the movie made of this book. They wisely added far more plot and action. The movie actually was not that good, but it was better than the book! 

Not a book I'd recommend.

I also found a copy of 20,000 Leagues in the boxes. It's been decades since I read it, so I will later give it a reread to see if my fond memories of the book are because it is good, or because I was a young teen when I first read it. I'll find out.

Right now, though, reading another book I uncovered: The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury.

Pax et bonum

No comments: