Thursday, February 15, 2024

Winter's Child (Coel)



Like many other libraries, my local library has a section with used books for sale. The books have either been donated, or have been culled from the library collection. The culled books are ones that are no longer actively circulating and are not "classics" that the library wants to retain.

The other day I was in the library and noticed a Margaret Coel Wind River mystery on the used table.

I was not surprised. Although she is a good writer, and the books in the series were popular, their time is  passing, and like so many other contemporary popular works of fiction they are gradually passing out of public consciousness.

I read a number of the books in the series, having a fondness for mysteries set on Native American reservation. I had read (and enjoyed) all the Tony Hillerman Navajo mysteries, and having learned about Coel's Wind River mysteries I decided to give them a try.

At first, I enjoyed them. Cole is a good genre writer. But then I began seeing a pattern. The main characters, divorced Arapaho lawyer Vicky Holden, and the alcoholic priest Father John O'Malley, are obviously attracted to each other, but their relationship remains at the attraction and sexual tension level; they never seemed to grow as characters the way that the Navajos in Hillerman's mysteries do. It also made me wonder if at some point in her life Coel had been attracted to a priest!

Moreover, the protagonists kept stumbling into danger because of their own impetuousness and boneheaded decisions; they never seemed to learn. 

There also seemed to be ambiguity - and a more worldly view - when it came to sexual morality. That was not something I expected when reading a mystery about a Catholic priest. Indeed, given the worldly view, I would not have been shocked if at some point Father O'Malley had said, "Forget celibacy!" and hopped in the sack with the all-too-willing Holden.

I got bored with the series. 

Then I learned that Coel had announced that the 20th book in the series, Winter's Child, was to be the last one. Not surprising given her age (she's currently in her 80's). There were also hints that this book would resolve some of the issues.

I added the book to my list of reading goals for this year.

I managed to secure a copy of it last week, and finished it last night.

It is well-written for the genre; as I noted earlier, Coel is a good writer. The protagonists face danger, but not because of boneheaded decisions on their parts, so this is an improvement.

The protagonists' mutual attraction remains, as does the sexual morality ambiguity, though there are hints that casual sex can lead to pain.

However, speaking as a father myself, the reaction toward the end of the book of the father of the titular child seems, given his earlier words and actions, too convenient. 

But in the end, questions remain unresolved. It seems our protagonists will never get together, but you don't know. Holden has a romantic possibility with another man, but you don't know. The mission church might close and Father O'Malley might be assigned elsewhere, but you don't know. Father O'Malley's niece may start a sexual relationships with a Native American man who had been considering the priesthood, but you don't know. The child of the title may be found, but you don't know.

Sigh.

After finishing it, I wondered if Coel has a manuscript tucked away that actually provides resolution, but it is not to be released until after she dies 

But you don't know.

Anyway, another 2024 reading goal met. 

After reading this one, I will probably not read any more of Coel's books.

But you don't know.

Pax et bonum

No comments: