Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Jesus Prayer (John Michael Talbot)




Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

I have always loved this prayer. I found it decades ago. I haven't used it in quite the way Talbot suggests, though. Instead, I used it as a prayer for spare moments. While driving. While waiting. I also use it during times of temptation to help turn my mind away from whatever thoughts were invading. And I use it during times of stress or fear - such as when sitting in the dentist's chair and he's going in with the drill.

I like the idea of this as a daily prayer. Twenty minutes a day? Why not - 20 minutes away from the internet should be doable. Maybe cut out a game. Or reading negative posts. I already have morning prayer, so the evening seems like a possible time for this kind of praying. I'll have to think about that.

Another part I like about his approach is the breathing in and out. That never occurred to me.

This prayer would help me to address my need for more prayer in my life. It would fit in with the hunger I feel for more contemplative prayer - and for a more hermit-like life.

Pax et bonum

No comments: