Sunday, August 4, 2013

First Day in Concord


Today was a day spent in history. We visited Walden Pond, Luisa May Alcott's long-time home, North Bridge, the Old Manse, and Lexington Green. I loved the guide at the Alcott House - she obviously knew her facts and loved her job. I was entertained, and learned a great deal. At Walden, I got a good poster for my classroom.

The Pond surprised me, though. I thought it would be some sort of a "shrine" to Thoreau.  While it is an historic park, and the site of Thoreau's cabin is marked, the cabin is long gone and there's no duplicate of facsimile of it. Meanwhile, the pond is a popular park for swimming, the beach crowded with people, the water full of people, some swimming far out in the Pond well away from the beach area. I wondered what Thoreau would have thought of such company?

"I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude." - Henry David Thoreau

The day began with Mass in the basement of a church undergoing renovations. The cantor was very good. The priest was funny and a good preacher. A woman sitting next to me was very helpful with directions to a store after Mass.

Pax et bonum

No comments: