Saturday, March 29, 2014

Dust settles - for now


The situation at work has settled for the moment. My job is relatively secure until June - but there is no guarantee of a job for next year.

It's all put a scare in me, so I'm continuing to explore other options.

My wife has been very supportive, but she did have one general observation.

She thought it was a mistake for me to go back to teaching. She thought I was a better writer/journalist than a teacher. She was not discrediting me as a teacher, just pointing out that she thought I was better at reporting and editing. She noted that writing better suited my more introverted personality, that writing allowed my creative (and sometimes quirky sense of humor) side to come out, and that it gave me more time to act and write plays.

I have to admit she has a point. Objectively speaking, I am a better writer than I am a teacher. I had good reasons to go back to teaching - the young people energize me and force me to be creative in other ways. But my personality and talents do tend more toward the writer's life.

Alas, given the direction of journalism these days, and given my age, a return to that life is unlikely. The online opportunities like Hubpages offer one possible path - but not for a full-time job at this point.

Of course, if I don't get a contract this June I may have to look more in the writing direction.  

Pax et bonum

2 comments:

Do Not Be Anxious said...

I joined a book club at my parish, largely because I read so much and have so much free time that I thought I ought to read something someone recommended, rather than just my rambling selections.

Last month we read The Story of Lucy Gault, by William Trevor. In telling something about Mr. Trevor, it mentions he was born in 1928 and his first book (of short novellas) was published in 1991. His 1992 book was chosen by the NYT as best, and his 1996 one of the best 8. In 1996 he received a Lannan Literary Award for Fiction.

It appears that for writing, you're never too old (I'm 67).

A Secular Franciscan said...

I shall have to look that book up. Thank you for your optimistic comment - yes, there is time ahead to write!