Saturday, January 14, 2017

On the passing of a friend


As I noted in an earlier post, I had been sending light poems to a friend who was dying of cancer in hopes that it might provide a little relief. She died the same day that I sent her another batch of poems.

Last night I went to the wake/viewing. There was a long line; she was a much loved friend, teacher, and member of the deacon program.

When I got to her husband, we shook hands, then hugged. He thanked me for the poetry, noting that she was unable to read by the time she received them, but that he had read them to her. He said she smiled and said, "That's Lee."

That was kind of him.

I then looked at her in the coffin. What with the years and the effects of illness she did not look like the friend I had known. It was as if I was looking at a stranger. I felt so sad. So distant.

I said a few prayers and a goodbye, watched the slide show, and then quietly left.

Outside, there was a full moon.

a full moon
sends shadows across my path -
leaving a friend's wake

Pax et bonum

No comments: