Saturday, February 10, 2018

Changes at my old school


As I wrote last June, I took a new job at a new school that I'd wanted to teach at for a long time - a very orthodox, solid classical education school. That's the positive. It was the right decision.

But part of what led me to take this job was also unhappiness with things going on at my old school - a school that had strayed from its Catholic roots in many ways, and had engaged in some questionable academic practices. I wrote a lengthy letter to the board when I left.

There have been rumors of problems at the school this year, and I just received an e-mail from a teacher there letting me know the principal with whom I had had some problems just announced his retirement.

I don't know if this was his choice, or a diplomatic way for the board to ease him out. I don't know if my letter when I quit, or letters from other teachers and the departure of some other teachers, played a role. I may never know - "personnel matter" - or I may get some feedback in the coming weeks.

Whatever the case, I hope they hire a faith-filled academically-solid principal to turn the school around. And I wish that retiring principal well.

As for me, I'm happy where I am.

Pax et bonum

No comments: