Saturday, June 4, 2016

More Spiritual Focus


Met with my spiritual director last week, and went to the cathedral last night for Mass and confession as part of the Year of Mercy Plenary Indulgence.

From both spiritual moments it became clear that if I am going to grow spiritually I need to focus more on what is good, and spend less time on what is not.

Among the bad habits -

Watching too much trashy television
Wasting too much time on social media
Getting caught up in pointless debates online
Playing too many computer/online games

These things in and of themselves are not bad, but spending too much time on them is.

So ...

I'm going to leave the television off as much as possible. I don't need to watch mindless sitcoms and crime shows and horror movies and movies that have questionable content.

I'm going cold turkey on computer games.

I'm going to avoid arguments online, and avoid spending much time on social media - just tune in to get updates, and lightly post (and try to keep it positive).

Instead, I will focus on spiritual reading, prayer time, writing, and getting my school work and chores done.

I already avoided turning on the television today, and haven't played a computer game. I might watch something with the wife later, but not any of the usual programs or movies I watch. (Sorry scifi and horror channels!) 

As soon as I finish posting this, I will get back to grading papers.

Lord, please give me the strength I need to resist temptation.

Pax et bonum

No comments: