Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Trump is not a Nazi



As anyone who has followed my posts here - or on social media - knows, I did not vote for Donald Trump, and I've had concerns about him for a long time. I disagreed with him on a number of positions and proposals (at least with what he said about them), I criticized some of his tactics and language, and I had reservations about his grasp of the issues.

But, I never called him a Nazi or a fascist or a xenophobe or a homophobe or a bigot or an anti-Semite or any number of such extreme terms.

I pointed out that much of what he was saying during the campaign was rhetoric, and that if he got elected he would likely chose a much more pragmatic course. As his actions and comments since the election have shown, that does indeed appear to be the case. (So far, anyway)

Yet folks continue to condemn him for "hate speech" - by using hate speech of their own.

Seems kind of hypocritical.

I think what we need to do is focus on his actual proposals and actions once he takes office and, where appropriate, to oppose specific things, or to push for what we want.

I will be watching how he treats pro-life issues and immigrants and health care and any number of other issues. I will speak up when I disagree with him. I will urge him to choose courses with which I agree,

But I will not criticize his policies until he actually does something.

And I will not engage in hate speech.

Pax et bonum

No comments: