Sunday, June 11, 2017

I quit


Yes, I quit.

I met with the principal of my school to sign a new contract, and I stopped him and told him that I was not returning.

You should have seen the look on his face.

I have another position lined up - at a real Catholic school - but I didn't tell him that. Instead I talked about some of the reasons why I was leaving.

Sadly, we didn't get to cover them all. Among the concerns I didn't get to cover was the fact that this supposedly Catholic school was drifting further and further away from defending Catholic teachings. (Don't mention them: Don't want to offend parents shelling out big bucks.)

So it goes.

The school I'm going to has daily prayers, weekly Mass for students, and opportunities for daily Masses for the faculty. Some teachers say rosaries with students. Lessons include Catholic books and discussion of saints.

And I don't have to be worried about offending people by discussing Catholic teachings.

Further, the education is classical - not ruled by Google and computers.

This week after I file my grades I will just be packing up. Lots of books that I used to enhance my lessons.

Alleluia! Thanks you Lord.

Pax et bonum

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity and a perfect fit. Best wishes!

A Secular Franciscan said...

Thanks. Yes, I look forward to the new school. All sorts of exciting spiritual and educational possibilities. I am sad, though, to leave my former school, but it has gone in the directions it has and I could no longer comfortably continue there. I will miss the students and many of the teachers.