Monday, June 12, 2023

A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Verne)



The latest "rediscovered" book read is A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne.

I enjoyed it far more than I did From the Earth to the Moon. However, the whiny narrator was kind of annoying. And, to be honest, I thought the 1959 movie with James Mason was better than the book!

It was amusing to discover as I did some research that he had set out to write a series of fantastic journey tales. To the moon. Into the earth. Under the sea. Around the world. And so on.

To be fair, since he was basically creating the genre of science fiction, however, I have to go easy on him and not compare him to later great science fiction or fantasy writers like Bradbury or Tolkien. .

I may read more Verne eventually, but for now I'm ready to move on to other books I've rediscovered boxed in the garage.

Pax et bonum

No comments: