Sunday, May 26, 2013

A wonderful poem about writing haiku



How to Write a Haiku


Details confuse me,
so when I see a rose,
although I do not know
its pedigree, I write down “rose.”
And when I cut it,
I do not know whether
I should cut it on a slant
or straight, or under water twice,
so I write down “cut.”
And when I put it in a vase,
I do not know whether it is raku
or glaze, or, perhaps good plastic,
so I write down “vase.”
and when I see two red leaves
on the earth beside the rose bush,
I do not know from which tree
they have fallen
so I write down “red leaves.”
And as I set the vase
and the leaves on the table,
I write down

 
rose just cut
beside the vase
two red leaves

 
And although I do not know
the details of what I have just done,
the sadness of it all
cracks my heart open.
 
 
 
(Click on her name to go to her site.)

Pax et bonum

No comments: