Saturday, April 11, 2015

Catholic theater dreams


I'm in the process of getting ready to apply for a teaching position to a new school - a small orthodox Catholic one. There are many reasons to apply there - the spirituality, the academic program, the opportunity to closely with students in a way I can't at a larger school, and so on.

But lately I've been thinking about another reason.

Theater.

At my previous school - a small religious one - I wrote and directed all the plays. I wrote for the actors I had, creating characters based on the personalities and abilities of the students. I was also able to control what went into the play, making sure they fit the Christian environment.

I can imagine me at a small Catholic school creating plays about spirituality and saints, and, of course, doing ones that have appropriate humor. I'm big on humor.

So one of my dreams is if I am hired helping to create plays for my students, or adapting classic plays and especially some with spiritual roots.

Of course, there may be no opening, or I might not get hired. I'll just stay where I am then - there is much that is good about my current school.

But I can hope!

Pax et bonum

No comments: