Sunday, May 3, 2015

Baltimore


The Baltimore riots have sparked of a debate. I've heard racism spouted. I find it offensive.

I've also heard nonsense defending the action of the rioters.

One fellow likened the rioters' actions to the fight against oppression and for democracy of the Boston Tea Party protesters.

Nonsense.

The Boston Tea Party targeted an item that was central to the dispute back then - tea. The rioters targeted stores, a senior center, citizens' cars - and none of these had anything to do with the death of a Black man. The Tea Party protesters did not loot the tea - they destroyed it. The Baltimore rioters stole. The Tea Party protesters destroyed property at the center of the dispute, but did not attack people. The Baltimore rioters attacked people.

I can understand the frustration of the people of Baltimore, but they need to let the criminal justice system work.

And I fear what will happen if the officers - three of whom are themselves Black - are acquitted, or are convicted of lesser crimes. I suspect there will be more riots that have nothing to do with democracy.

And frankly, I'm sick of the exploitation of racial issues by so many in the media and by the professional race baiters. They undermine the fight for racial justice and equality.

Pax et bonum

No comments: