Sunday, September 27, 2015

Open the Eyes of My Heart


There are certain songs I enjoy singing. "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport," the first song that actually caught my attention on the radio (yes, I'm that old), "Bottle of Wine," (sots in my family?), "Never Ending Song of Love" are three of them. I sometimes sing them as I walk or drive, just for the pleasure of singing them.

There are others, but lately one that I've been singing is "Open the Eyes of My Heart" by Paul Baloche.

The lyrics are simple and repetitive. The tune is not hard; it suits my range. But for me anyway it is  also moving - this is a song I feel as if I'm praying as I sing.

There are multiple covers of the song - it seems to touch other people too. My favorite is the Randy Travis one. My own version is similar to his.


Sadly, he later faced all sorts of problems, including a massive stroke that, for now, has incapacitated him and rendered him incapable of performing. Say a prayer for him.

Here are the lyrics as Michael W. Smith performed the song.

"Open The Eyes Of My Heart"

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy

[Repeat two more times]

Holy, holy, holy
We cry holy, holy, holy
You are holy, holy, holy
I want to see you

Holy, holy, holy
Holy, holy, holy
You are holy, holy, holy
I want to see you

Holy, holy, holy
Holy, holy, holy
Holy, holy, holy,
I want to see you

This is one of the songs I played for the opening of the local 40 Days for Life campaign. I prayed that the hearts of everyone connected with abortion might have their hearts opened - within the  industry, the victims, even the protesters that they will be loving and compassionate.

Pax et bonum

No comments: