Saturday, September 30, 2017

On Being Snarky


One of my failings (there are many, mind you) as a Franciscan is my sarcastic/snarky side.

I grouse and crab and criticize so easily here, and on Facebook, and especially on Twitter.

I have a tendency to comment or reply with some snide remark even when I don't have to, and sometimes even when I was not part of the original discussion.

Not only is this not very Franciscan, it is not in keeping with G. K. Chesterton's style. He argued and debated often, but in a way that did not attack or demeaned the opponent. Yes, people did grow angry, and some were quite vicious when they did so, but that was on them, not instigated by him.

I have been trying to catch myself. I have been trying not to jump in or to make harsh comments, but have not always succeeded.

As with so many of my other failings, I need to avoid situations that encourage me to fall, and to ask God's help.

Pax et bonum

No comments: