Thursday, May 7, 2020

The devil, you say


The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis · OverDrive (Rakuten ...

At school, I had started reading The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis with my students during a homeroom reading period.

Then the coronavirus hit. No more reading with my students.

So after finishing Chesterton's The Innocence of Father Brown, I decided to finish Lewis's book. It's actually a rereading on my part, but it's been years since I read it.

One of the things I'm finding amusing is the number of pithy quotations one can draw out of it.

Here's a few of them:

“A moderated religion is as good for us as no religion at all—and more amusing.”  

“It does not matter how small the sins are provided that their cumulative effect is to edge the man away from the Light and out into the Nothing."

“Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts."

“Above all, do not attempt to use science (I mean, the real sciences) as a defence against Christianity. They will positively encourage him to think about realities he can’t touch and see. "

I'm enjoying this rereading immensely.

Pax et bonum

No comments: