Thursday, August 6, 2020

Swedenborg 24


Several cups of coffee, and the due date, were not enough. He had barely made progress on the paper by the time the sun had come up. He was too wired to sleep, yet too tired to think.


He took a shower to try to wake up. As he dried off, he looked outside. The rain had stopped, and there were even breaks of sunshine.


Maybe a walk to get his car would help.


He dressed quickly, and then headed out. It was a 20 minute walk to the campus.


The morning air was fresh after the overnight rain. He took a deep breath and forced himself to think of the paper. Suddenly, words popped into his head, as if someone was whispering. He realized the right direction for the paper. If he’d had his laptop, he would have sat down somewhere before the idea left him.


He picked up his pace. He wanted to get the car and get back to the house before he forgot. He kept thinking about it, more words came. Yes.


Very few people were on the street – not surprising at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning. A few students were up, heading home, or in search of breakfast or coffee. He spotted his car.


“Hey, up early,” a cheerful voice said from behind him.


He turned. Joe Paolotto was ambling along with a walking stick.


“Um, I left my car here last night,” he said.


“It’s a great morning for a walk anyway,” Joe said. “I try to get out every morning. My attempt at exercise.”


He patted his stomach. “Hard to believe, but I’ve already lost five pounds this summer.”


“Uh, great. Good luck with that. What’s with the stick? Did you hurt the leg?”


“No. I think it’s a nice fashion accessory. Besides, It has its uses. Maybe I’ll show you some day. But don’t forget the party tonight.” Seeing Frank’s puzzlement, added, “At my place. I invited Professor Staples. He probably won’t come, but you never know.”


“Oh, right.” He’s too chipper for a Saturday morning, Frank thought. “That paper.”


“I’m almost done. Poof. It came last night. Just have to proof. I’m a terrible speller. And sometimes I quote from memory inaccurately. How’s yours coming?”


“I think I finally have a focus. I was going to go back to my place to work on it,” Frank said, turning his body to hint that he needed to get going.


Joe did not take the hint. “I’d be happy to talk about it, maybe help. Would you like some coffee?”


“I’ve had a couple of cups already, thanks. I need to get back to my computer.”


Looking disappointed, Joe said, “Right. Well, I hope to see tonight. A break might help, and we can talk then.”


Joe suddenly looked serious. “I get this strange feeling we should talk.”


“Um, I’ll see. Thanks.”


Frank turned and hurried to his car. He got in and looked back. No sign of Joe.


Yeah, right. I’m going to that party, he thought.


He drove back to the house and hurried to the apartment to get to work on the paper before he lost his inspiration. It meant revising it to take into account the new direction he’d come up with, but suddenly it seemed to flow. He wrote quickly, smoothly, much more smoothly than he normally did, leaving a few spots for facts to check.


By noon, he had much of the paper done – except for the blank spots. He checked on the internet for some of the information he needed. The rest needed a visit to the library.


He showered and drove back to the campus. He was surprisingly awake considering he’d been up all night, and what had happened the night before. He’d almost forgotten about that in the heat of composing.


Demons? She must have put something in their drinks. That had to be it.


He hurried into the library and looked in the online catalog.


Yes, there was information about John Lowry. He began to scribble down call numbers, when he suddenly pause.


John Lowry? He could not remember ever hearing of him before. How had that name suddenly come to him?;


Maybe something I read once. Or maybe something that Staples said that had had settled into his subconscious.


He shrugged, and continued to make notes, then rushed off into the stacks.


He hated library stacks. Too closed in. Too much dead air despite air conditioners and fans.


The section he wanted was in an old wing of the library several floors up. The air in it had the musty smell of old books and old leather. He searched for the books, and quickly found one of them. He looked inside. The book was so old and so little used it did not even have one of those magnetic strips put in books these days. It still had the old charge record glued to the inside cover. He looked at the last date. 1939.


He searched for the other books on his list, and then found a desk next to a window to search them for what he needed. He worked steadily, occasionally looking out the window at the campus. With the sun shining campus actually looked beautiful.


He could easily get distracted.


He settled back into the books and soon had all the data he needed, and started to flip through the book. He came across a biographical sketch of John Lowry.


He was imprisoned in 1581 for being a Catholic after being turned in by a man named George “Judas” Eliot, a criminal notorious for betraying Catholics. But he was not executed thanks to some influential friends. Instead, he was kept imprisoned for 10 years, and finally released and spent several years as an invalid at a friend’s estate. It was then that he had done most of his writing about medieval history that had been helpful to Frank.


But he had also written about witchcraft.


Curious, Frank went to one of the computers on the floor and looked up other books by Lowry. He found one, located in an even more obscure stack.


He went off in search. Great, a tower stack.


He climbed ever higher on old wooden stairs and through dead air, finally coming to the top floor. The lights were off when he got to the floor.


There were boxes of books scattered about and empty shelves. It looked as if the library was packing up this floor.


The book he wanted was on a back shelf that had not been touched.


The book was not about Lowry per se, but about witchcraft and the witch trials of the 16th century.


The book did not have an index. Great. Frank sat at a table piled high with books ready for boxing, and began flipping through. He almost gave up when he spotted Lowry’s name.


Lowry had been part of a group that met to talk about philosophy and ancient ways, including medieval guilds – the subsidiarity connection Frank had already discovered.


But then several members of the group were ejected and later arrested for witchcraft. A section of a document written by Lowry was quoted.


“Dame Agnes claimed to see spirits. Simon Slaney told her that if she did, it was a great power. If she could learn to control them, then she should use them for her ends. He was seconded by his cousin, Magnus Sounder, who said he himself had learned to use such spirits to win in the courts, though he spoke little of such things and trusted our confidence.


This bespoke witchcraft to us. Having known prison walls for my religious beliefs already, and not easy with talk of such things, I was prepared to leave the group when Albert Thomas said all those who shared Simon Slaney’s and Magnus Sounder’s beliefs were not welcome in the group any more. Dame Agnes, Simon Seeley, Magnus Sounder, Henry Scott, and Clive Staples all parted ways with our group. I was relieved, yet much saddened, for they provoked likely conversation, especially Clive Staples. But such companionship put my neck in jeopardy.


Thence did Daniel Parson tell me he planned to report them for fear of his own life, and advised me to do the same as I was already suspect for my beliefs. There was wisdom in what he said, and so with sadness I signed a statement he had written stating what we had heard.


Magnus Sounder was arrested and after a trial, burned. The others I heard naught of, other than they may have fled to the colonies.”


Frank searched for other references, but found nothing. A wild goose chase. So he turned in his friends to save his neck. I might have done the same under the circumstances, he thought.


He put the book back where he found it. He started to leave when he spotted the title of a book on the table.


Nathaniel Slaney: The Father of Carthage.


He grabbed the book and flipped through until he found Simon Slaney, who, the book said, fled to the colonies to escape religious persecution. He was the great grandfather of Nathaniel Slaney.


Fleeing to escape what he would consider religious persecution," Frank mused.  


And this town is one result.


He wondered if there were any Slaneys still in Cathage. He made a mental note to ask Jack.


He started down when he heard the noise of someone coming up. He felt strangely embarrassed, as if he shouldn’t be there, even though he had every right. 


He continued down util he could see the person . A shock passed through him.


“Art?” he said hesitantly, “Art Selig?”


Art halted and looked at him, his eyes darkening.


“What are you doing up there?” Art growled.


“Research. I didn’t’ know you were here. It’s been a long time.”


He took a couple of steps closer, then stopped when he saw the way Art was glaring at him.


“I work here.," Art snarled  "What were you looking for?”
. . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . .. . . . . .. ..
Jack went into the kitchen. Frank glanced over his paper again, and sowno glaring errors.
Then suddenly he thought of Joe.
He seemed like he really wanted to see me, Frank thought. And he realized he had a suddent feeling they should talk.  


As he spoke, he rubbed his fingers together. Like a fly. It made Frank feel queasy.


“I was looking for information for a paper. It was a dead end.”


“This tower is dangerous. They shut it down a while back. Better get out.”


“Yeah, I’m going,” he said, then tried to make conversation. “So you teach here?”


“Research. INS.”


Frank felt even more uneasy.


“Oh,” he said cautiously, “I met Dr. Soehner.”


“I know. He wants to see you,” he said. Then he added firmly.”You should make a point of it.”


“I’ll think about it, if I have time.”


“Make the time. It’ll be worth your while.”


“Yeah, I’ll think of it.”


He started down again.


Art glared at him. “Think hard,” he said firmly.


Frank was about to say something, thought better, and hurried down.


He got out of the tower and took a breath of fresh air.


Weird. When standing next to Art he was sure he’d smelled smoke. There was nothing in the air here.


Where there’s smoke, there’s fire, he thought absently.


Hope I never run into that fire.


Sharon Sweetwater joined the throng entering Carthage General Hospital as visiting hours began. She checked the room number again, and then took the elevator up to the third floor.


She had two hours before she had to be at the clinic – short-staffed thanks to the departure of the nurse and doctor. Few people had applied yet. Few wanted to volunteer or work in an inner city clinic, especially not in Carthage.


Her own mother had called the night before.


“Can’t you find another job? There’s so much crime there.”


Her mother had called several times before with similar messages.


Sharon’s response was always the same.


“I’m needed. I feel as if I’m doing good.”


This visit was part of “doing good.” One of the clinic’s patients had ended up in the hospital. A troubled woman who had no one. Sharon had promised to visit her.


“You have to start caring about yourself,” her mother had warned her on more than one occasion. “You have to stop putting others first.”


Her mother, who had married multiple times and lost many jobs because she was good at putting herself first. Her mother who now had no one.


She took the elevator up to the floor. The doors slid open, and she was greeted by noise. Not the usual hospital noises. Voices, loud, angry, frightened, sometimes a mixture of both.


Sharon looked at the nurses. They looked beat and burned out. Maybe the clinic isn’t so bad, she thought.


She found the room and went in.


“Sister Sharon,” the woman rasped  with delight. “You came.”


“How are you, Masia?”


Masia, who was only 30, could have passed for nearly twice her age. She had a scar above her left eye and was missing a couple of teeth.


“I been better. I can’t sleep much. This is the noisiest hospital I ever been in.”


“I noticed,” Sharon said. “Maybe it’s busy.”


“You’re telling me,” Masia said. “People talking and yelling.”


“But how are you doing,” Sharon said to try to get back on track.


“They say the infection has gotten better. I had some internal bleeding. I mighta died if you hadn’t sent me here.”


A regular at the clinic, Masia had come in a couple of days before wearing a large, dirty, bloody towel taped to her side. She had been stabbed the day before, and had tried to take care of it herself. It was unclear how deep the wound was, and how bad the infection that had developed was, so Sharon had called an ambulance and the police. Masia refused to say how it had happened, or who had done it. Given her track record, it could have been anyone from one of her boyfriends to one of her drinking buddies.


But Sharon had learned that despite her wild ways, Masia was basically a good soul. She tried to help others in any way she could. She often convinced others to come to the clinic, and sometimes came along to give support and to overcome mistrust. Sharon had developed a soft spot for her, and the rest of the clinic staff tried to find odd jobs for her to help her earn some money – and to keep her busy so she didn’t drink or do more drugs.


“You, die?” Sharon said with a smile. “You’re too tough.


“Jesus don’t want me yet,” Masia said.


“He’s going to hit you in the back of the head!” a voice bellowed.


Sharon flinched, but no blow came.


“Thas my roommate,” Masia said. “She sees things.”


“They don’t like you,” the other woman yelled. “You scare them. Hey, don’t take my couch!”


Sharon looked at the woman. A bony old woman with thin straggly hair, she had wild, feverish eyes.


“Did you call the police?” the woman asked her.


“The staff will take care of that,” Sharon said, not certain what the woman was talking about.


“The vampires have them,” the woman said. “They got suckers all over them. Bob? Get away from me.”


 “Poor woman,” Sharon muttered.


 “You hear a lot of that,” Masia said. “All night. I gotta get outta here. My place is quieter.”


“Maybe in a day or two if the infection is under control,” Sharon said. “They get people out quickly these days.”


“They’re watching you,” the woman said to Sharon, then snapped, “Get off my couch.”


From out in the hall, Sharon heard a man’s voice yelling, ”She says I’m a murderer.”


Sharon shook her head.


The woman suddenly and calmly said,”Papootie.”


Sharon blinked.


“What did you say?”


“Papootie, help me.”


“What’s the matter, Masia said. “You look funny.”


“It’s nothing,” Sharon said uneasily. “I’m okay. You get better. Let us know when you get out. Come to the clinic and I’ll get you some tea.”


“I’d rather have beer,” Masia chortled.


Sharon left the room and hurried to the elevator. She felt cold.


 It’s a coincidence, she said to herself. There’s no way that woman could know.


He’s dead.


 …..


The afternoon went well. Despite the weird experience of the night before, the lack of sleep, and running into Art, Frank was able to finish his paper. Another read through, and he would be able to hand it in. Then he could get on to reading the upcoming week’s assignments.


Staples did believe in work.


Jack came back midafternoon.


“I gotta get more reliable board operators,” he grumbled. “These morning shifts are murder.”


He smiled at Frank.


“You wouldn’t be interested in an exciting career in radio, would you?;”


“Well, I do have a face for radio.”


“That’s my line!”


“By the way, I saw an old friend. Art Selig. He works with Soehner.


 Jack looked surprised.


 “He’s spooky. How do you know him?”


 “He’s from Kashong Falls. We went to high school together. We used to be friends, then something happened. I think he resented me because I was good at chess. How’s that for a reason to stop being friends?”


  “Chess? You really were a nerd.”


“I’m a high school teacher."


“Okay, you are still a nerd. But there is something not right about Selig. He’s Soehner’s right hand thug."


“He was pushing me to go to the INS. Said Soehner wants to see me.”


“For once I agree with him.”


“You have ulterior motives. You just want a spy.”


“I’m just trying to seduce you and turn you into a radio whore. If I win a award for exposing INS I’ll share it with you. Or at least I’ll mention your name as I accept the award.”


“Thanks.”


“As for seducing, how did Liza fail to snag you?


“I don’t like to be snagged. Besides, as I said, there was too much weirdness at her place. Don’t laugh, but it felt evil.”


I won’t laugh. But evil? That’s your Catholic roots showing. I say dangerous. She fools around with too much dangerous stuff.


“You don’t believe in all that?”


“I don’t believe in it as magic and all that, but there is something there. You can’t deny that after what happened.”


“No,” he said softly. Then he added brightly., “Maybe you should get her to go to the INS. I bet she would short circuit all their machines.”


“I think she did go there once. She said it was all bogus, but I think it freaked her.”


“What do they do?”


“As best I can tell, they are researching psychic ability. But I’m convinced they are do it to use it, like a weapon. They get military funding. Imagine an army of psychic warriors.”


“Bad sci fi.”


“ That sort of stuff has been researched before. Like distant viewing. They’ve actually tested people’s ability to see things far away – like another country. Imagine the spy potential with stuff like that.”


“They don’t have that, do they?”


“Mixed reports. But what’s going on here is different. There’s something about Carthage that seems to support the research. Liza says there’s so much going on in the spirit world that other members of her coven won’t even live here.”


"Oh, right. One thing I may have found out. Nathaniel Slaney founded Carthage, right?”


“Yeah.”


“Well he might be connected with Simon Slaney, a witch who fled England for the colonies.”


“You’re kidding?”


“No, I stumbled across mention of him.


“So a relative of a witch started this place? You know all the old Native American legends about this place, right?”


“Some.”


“Well they avoided this place. But he settled here. Figures there’s be some witch connection.”


“I don’t know for sure.”



“It make sense. But I’ll look into it. Maybe make a feature story. Now, I need some food.”
Jack headed off to the kitchen. Frank was annoyed. He wanted to talk more about what happened last night, but Jack seemed to be avoiding it.
Instead, he glanced over his paper and saw no obvious mistakes or typos.
Then he thought of Joe.
Suddenly he had the feeling they did need to talk.

Pax et bonum

No comments: