Friday, August 28, 2020

Twenty Poems to Pray


Twenty Poems to Pray  -     By: Gary M. Bouchard

I generally have several books that I'm currently reading, switching back and forth. One of the books is almost always spiritual in nature, and usually one of them is a book of poetry.

Twenty Poems to Pray by Gary M. Bouchard allowed me to cover both genres in one book.

I'd seen it reviewed, and intrigued, I ordered it immediately. Great decision.

Bouchard begins his introduction with, "Poetry and prayer are close cousins, if not siblings." He successfully demonstrates the truth of that observation.

As the title states, he chose 20 poems. Along with the texts of the poems, he provides some background for each one, a dash of literary analysis, and some spiritual reflections. The book is for a general audience, so it does not overwhelm with in-depth explications - each poem has its own chapter, and the chapters are generally about five pages. Quite manageable.

The represented poets include some familiar poets - though not necessarily familiar poems by them. Robert Frost, for example, makes it with a poem I'd never read before, "A Prayer in Spring." Ditto with John Donne's "Sonnet 4, O My Black Soul," and George Herbert's "Love III." Emily Dickinson's "Hope" and Father Gerard Manley Hopkins' "Pied Beauty," were not surprises, but were welcome.

Other poets represented include Denise Levertov, Shakespeare, Howard Nemerov, Christina Rossetti, and Saint Robert Southwell. There were also a few poets I'd never encountered before, such as Dana Gioia, Father Kilian McDonnell, and Claire Nicholas White. One new poet in particular stood out for me: William Stafford, with his wonderful "Stray Moments." I enjoyed the poem so much I plan to borrow one of his books from the library (when it opens from its Covid shutdown).

Even if you are not a person who normally reads poetry, this is a great book. The spiritual reflections are wonderful and inspiring.

This is a book I'll read again.   

Pax et bonum

No comments: