Tuesday, December 29, 2020

at the funeral


at the funeral
they will politely avoid
mention of failures

In a melancholy mood tonight.

In cleaning out a closet, came across several boxes of papers and books belonging to an estranged daughter. She has not spoken to us in more than five years. We even found out - month after the fact - that she had married.

days after Christmas
one daughter's gifts still wrapped
beneath the tree  

I don't understand all the reasons why she chose to cut us out of her life, but I look back at things I said and ways I acted, and I'm certain I share in the problem.

Since then, another daughter has joined her in cutting us out. Two out of three.

And there are failures there, as well.

Plus, I'm estranged from people who were a few years ago friends. In some cases, it was my choice. In others, we just stopped trying.

How much of it is me? My attitudes? My sarcasm and criticisms? My over-sensitivity?

Failures.

My failures.

So many.

Too many.

Pax et bonum

No comments: